One of the few original buildings left along California’s stretch of Route 66, the newly restored Cucamonga Service Station was built in 1915, serving local wine and citrus growers and early car enthusiasts. When Route 66 opened in 1926, it became a refueling and service stop for those traveling Route 66. The station was a Richfield gas station (the corporate predecessor to today’s ARCO) from the 1930s through the 1960s.
The station closed in the 1970s and deteriorated badly, with a garage and freestanding bathroom destroyed by the ravages of time.
In 2009, Rancho Cucamonga designated the station a historical city landmark and the nonprofit Route 66 Inland Empire California gained title to the property in 2013. The organization restored the station using funds from local residents, a grant from the Native Sons of the Golden West, and donated labor and construction materials.
The station was recently added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Established in 1986 by Gov. George Deukmejian, the Governor’s Historic Preservation Awards emphasize involvement by community groups and recognize a variety of preservation activities, from building rehabilitation to archaeology, education and preservation planning.